City of Shawnee

Good Neighbor Program

Shawnee is an active and vibrant community. Our neighborhoods are a mixture of diverse people, businesses, schools, and residences. This is one of the reasons that Shawnee is such a great place to live, work, and raise a family.

Getting to know your neighbors and becoming a part of the community can be a rewarding experience. In January, the City established a Good Neighbor Program, which encourages residents to be considerate and respectful to one another. Here are a few tips for being a good neighbor in Shawnee:

  • Get to know your neighbors.
  • Be courteous and respectful.
  • Communication is key.
  • Be willing to give a helping hand.
  • Neighbors Helping Neighbors.
  • Follow the city ordinances and Homeowners Associations.

As a resident in a Shawnee neighborhood, these are a few things you can do to be a good neighbor. Many of these items are included in the Shawnee Municipal Code (SMC).


Be a responsible pet owner. Being a responsible pet owner means ensuring vaccinations are maintained, preventing excessive pet-related noise, restraining pets in an appropriate manner, and removing pet waste. Residents are allowed to keep up to two cats and two dogs without any type of city license or permit. Any additional pets require a special animal permit. Details on pet regulations can be found in Title 6 of the SMC or you can contact the City Clerk’s Office at (913) 742-6014.

Block Parties

Block parties serve as a way for neighbors to meet neighbors. You can obtain a block party permit up to two weeks prior to the scheduled event by completing the Block Party Request Form on the City’s website. Barricades must be furnished by the residents. For questions on block parties, contact the Police Department at (913) 631-2150.

If you would like an appearance from the Shawnee Fire Department, contact (913) 631-1080. Pending availability, a fire truck will be dispatched to the block. Children are given the opportunity to get inside the fire truck and learn about the different tools and equipment on the truck.

Cold Weather

Many neighbors use public sidewalks to exercise, go to school, or access local stores or services. People with disabilities rely on them to take care of their day to day activities. Snow and ice can make a sidewalk difficult or treacherous to use and pedestrians, including children, sometimes resort to walking in the street to reach their destinations. As a reminder, the owner and/or occupant of a property adjacent to a public sidewalk is required to remove snow or ice from the abutting sidewalk within 48 hours after it has stopped falling (SMC 12.06.230). For more information on snow an ice removal from sidewalks, contact the Codes Administration Division at (913) 742-6010.

To assist snow removal crews, please do not park vehicles on the streets. Park vehicles in the driveway and don’t allow vehicles to extend into the roadway. When vehicles are parked on narrow streets, hills, or both sides of the street, the City may not be able to clear snow from the street. Also, please place basketball goals, hockey goals, skateboard ramps or other structures at least 10 feet back from the street to allow for proper snow removal.


Fences cannot exceed six feet (6’) in height. No solid fence over 4½ feet high is allowed in a front yard area (a corner lot has two front yards) and no solid fence over 3 feet high is allowed on corner lots within the sight distance triangle of 25 feet (Figure 1).

Figure 1

All fences shall be constructed with the finished side facing outward from the property. Fences should be maintained in good condition and be free from breaks, missing structure members, leaning, buckling, sagging or chipped and peeling paint. Fence regulations can be found in Section 17.60.030 of the SMC or by contacting the Codes Administration Division at (913) 742-6010.

Garage Sales

The City does not issue or require a permit for garage sales. Residents are allowed two garage sales per calendar year at their residence. City ordinance allows for sales lasting up to five days between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Garage sale signs are permitted as long as they are not located in public right-of-way and are taken down one day after the sale. More information about garage sales can be found in Chapter 5.32 of the SMC or by contacting the City Clerk’s Office at (913) 742-6014.


Be courteous - keep the noise to an acceptable level. Complaints about excessive noise can come from loud music, outdoor activities, early morning lawn mowers, and guests coming or going during late night or early morning hours. More information about noise levels can be found in Chapter 9.70 of the SMC. If you have a noise complaint, can contact the Police Department at (913) 631-2150.

Outside Storage

Items such as, but not limited to, lawn mowers, yard tools, buckets and other miscellaneous items must be located within a fully enclosed structure or within the back yard and substantially screened by the equivalent of a 6’ solid board fence from view from any neighbor. Storage items, including but not limited to gardening equipment, vehicle parts, ladders, or wheelbarrows, should not occupy more than 20% of the rear yard area. Firewood, not to exceed one cord (4’ x 4’ x 8’), may be stored outside of the shielded storage area and should be neatly stacked and no closer to the street than the nearest primary wall surface of the residence.


A limited number of unrelated occupants are allowed to live in a home. The number of occupants allowed to reside in a residence is regulated by zoning district. Many neighborhoods are zoned primarily for single-family dwelling units. This means that no more than four unrelated persons can occupy a residence within a single-family district. Find out what a residence is zoned by contacting the Planning Department at (913) 742-6011. Over-occupancy is a violation of City ordinance and can lead to other issues that disturb neighbors, such as excessive vehicle parking or noise.


Please be courteous when parking on the streets in neighborhoods. The City has various regulations for parking vehicles. Parking in yards, on sidewalks, and other “No Parking” signed areas is prohibited. Vehicles parked on the street must be moved every 48 hours. Be aware of your vehicles position so that your neighbors can back out of their driveway safely and allow at least 10 feet width of the street so adequate distance can be maintained for emergency vehicles. Vehicles may not be parked within six feet (6’) of any mailbox.

Recreational vehicles, including boats, campers, and trailers can be stored, one per residence, on the side or rear yard (not between the house and the street), and are required to be stored on a concrete, asphalt or paver brick parking pad that is at least the same size as the vehicle. These items may also be stored on the front driveway of a home for not more than 4 days in a 30-day period, to allow for trip preparation.

Parking regulations can be found in Chapter 10.20 of the SMC. For more information on parking restrictions, contact the Codes Administration Division at (913) 742-6010.


Recycling, Trash and Yard Waste

Keep Shawnee clean and green. Trash and recycling removal services are provided to residents by private companies licensed with the City. Recycling and trash materials can be set out for pick-up up to 24 hours prior to pick-up. Empty containers should be removed within twelve hours of collection. Visit the City’s Trash & Recycling FAQ website or contact the City Manager’s Office at (913) 742-6213 for questions regarding recycling and trash.

The City requires all licensed residential haulers to have at least one large item pick up date during the year. The City calls these Tidy Town weekends. They are generally held at the end of April and the beginning of May each year.


A permit is not required to solicit in the City. Persons working for non-profit organizations, charitable contributions, census takers, or political candidates or their agents are not considered solicitors. Solicitation is allowed between 10:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. The City Clerk’s office has free “No Solicitor’s” stickers. Solicitors are not allowed to solicit at home or businesses that are posted with a “No Solicitor” sticker or “No Trespasser” sign. Soliciting regulations can be found in Chapter 5.56 of the SMC or by contacting the City Clerk’s Office at (913) 742-6014. If you are ever concerned about your safety, call 911.

Stormwater Pollution Prevention

Reminder – “Only Rain Down the Drain”. Help prevent the polluting of local streams and bodies of water by not dumping chemicals, yard waste, grass clippings, or other pollutants into the storm drainage system. Yard waste, including grass clippings, clogs drains, pollutes lakes and streams, and causes harm to the ecosystem. Stormwater drainage pollution regulations can be found in Section 11.12.040 of the SMC. To report an illegal discharge of pollutants, contact the Stormwater Management Division at (913) 742-6009.

Yard Maintenance

Yard maintenance is the responsibility of every owner or occupant and includes the maintenance of plant and grass material in any public right-of-way abutting the property. In all areas except properties zoned agricultural, grass must be maintained at a height not to exceed 8 inches. Vegetation and trees should be trimmed so as not to impair vision or obstruct travel of motorists or obstruct pedestrian travel on sidewalks. Trees over the public right-of-way and sidewalks should be trimmed up to a height of 14 feet. Ground cover such as grass should be provided for all areas where soil is exposed. Shrubs and hedges should be neatly trimmed and maintained. It is illegal for anyone to deposit yard waste of any kind into the streets, curbs, gutters, creeks or streams (SMC 11.12.040). For more information on yard maintenance, contact the Codes Administration Division at (913) 742-6010.

Good Neighbor Program

Good Neighbor Program