City of Shawnee

Roofed Additions

New Roofed Additions (to existing one and two family dwellings)
Building Permit Guidelines

Definition: Room addition is any structure that is connected to the house with a roof that water can’t go through and therefore enlarges the footprint of the house. A new screened porch or sunroom is considered a new room addition. An attic conversion, which is not extending the roof line, would be considered a remodel and would only need a miscellaneous permit explaining the remodel parameters.

The following information is required to be submitted:

  1. A completed and signed Residential Permit Application (pdf).
  2. A recent (no older than six (6) months) accurate, scaled pre-construction stake plot plan, sealed by a Kansas Registered Land Surveyor, showing the size and location of the addition with respect to all platted building lines, and existing structures on the lot. You must meet the general bulk regulations for the placement of the building addition on your lot according to your zoning requirements. In lieu of this requirement, the homeowner can submit a notarized statement, Code Compliance for New Roofed Additions to Existing One and Two Family Dwellings (pdf) taking full responsibility of the location of the new area in relationship to all property lines. Zoning (SMC 17.84.020) Corner Plots: each plot line which abuts a street shall be deemed to be a front plot line, and the required yard along both plot frontages shall be a required front yard.
  3. Two sets of plans showing elevations from all directions. If addition will not be on a perimeter frost-free footing but supported by piers like on a deck, plans must be sealed by a Kansas Engineer. The removal of any existing wall over six feet must have a Kansas Engineer’s seal on the plans. Entrance to the new area must be shown on plans.
  4. Payment for the building permit may be accepted by cash, check or credit card. Checks should be made payable to the City of Shawnee. Charges are based on the Fee Schedule (pdf).
  5. A City of Shawnee Business License is required for any contractor performing work in the City of Shawnee. For more information please contact the Licensing Specialist at (913) 742-6247. In addition, the contractor must have a valid Class A, B, or C Johnson County Contractor’s License contact (913) 715-2233 for more information or visit their website at

Upgrading Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Adding a roofed addition on to your home triggers a requirement to upgrade the smoke detectors throughout your home to new dwelling standards and to install carbon monoxide detectors outside of all sleeping rooms. This special requirement is in the building code because of the importance of smoke detectors and the lives that they save every year. Smoke detectors in new dwellings are required to be provided in each sleeping area, outside of each sleeping area, and on each story of the dwelling.

Smoke detectors can be battery operated or hardwired. The smoke detectors must be interconnected so that the activation of one detector will activate all of the other smoke detectors within the home.

The 2018 International Residential Code is the adopted construction code applicable to single family additions.

REMEMBER: Any time you plan to dig on your property you should contact the free service of Kansas One Call – just Dial 811!

Should you need any reasonable accommodation to assist in making permit application, please contact the Building Codes Division at (913) 742-6010.