JOB TITLE: Police Officer
STARTING ANNUAL SALARY: $41,932
MAXIMUM ANNUAL SALARY: $74,480
Commissioned Officers eligible for a $2,000 new-hire bonus, restrictions apply.
Police Officer I - $41,932 - $46,448 (First Two Years)
Police Officer II - $46,448 - $52,885 (Completion of 2 Years)
Police Officer III - $52,885 - $60,236 (Completion of 5 Years)
Police Officer IV - $60,236 - $68,586 (Completion of 8 Years)
Master Police Officer - $68,586 - $74,480 (Completion of 11 Years)
The City of Shawnee has a career development program. The criteria to move up to the next level is based on years of service and satisfactory performance evaluations.
The City of Shawnee accepts employment applications for the position of Police Officer on an on-going basis. Employment applications are kept on file for one (1) year.
Two formal hiring processes are held each year, one commencing in January, and the other in July. Candidates selected from these two processes will attend basic police training at the Regional Police Academy located at Johnson County Community College.
Additional hiring processes for certified officers will be held on a continuous basis and as certified officer applications are received.
Lateral Entries: Pay for Experience
Lateral entries for certified officers with road patrol experience will be awarded for a maximum of 5 years of completed service at the discretion of the Chief of Police. The pay rate will be established based on comparable wages with current Shawnee Police Officers. Starting pay rates for completed prior years of service will be up to $52,885 annually.
In addition, all certified officers hired are eligible for a $2000 bonus whether they have road patrol experience or not. $1000 of this bonus will be awarded after successful completion of the field training program, and the other $1000 will be awarded upon completion of the initial probationary year.
*To qualify as a certified officer in Kansas, one must have graduated from a Kansas police academy or an academy in another state where the training standards are accepted by the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center.
**Patrol experience refers to patrol only. Experience in corrections, with railroad police, or other non-patrol duties will not suffice.
***Sworn employees must be able to give credible court testimony due to federal court decisions. Any prior finding of dishonesty, untruthfulness, or failing to be completely forthright in with all information will bring an officer's reputation into consideration when testifying in a court of law. No certified officers applications will be accepted if the applicant has prior Brady findings during current or previous public service employment.
An employee of this classification performs duties related to public safety through enforcement of laws and ordinances, public education and hazard correction. The police officer hiring process consists of a Physical Ability Examination, a series of interviews, a background investigation, polygraph, and job fit assessment. Job offers are contingent on the successful completion of a post offer physical and drug screen.
Applicants selected to participate in the Physical Ability Exam (pdf) will be notified via the email address provided on the employment application. Applicants who do not have an email address must note a daytime phone number.
Automatic exclusions occurring prior to the start of the selection process include:
- Valid driver's license and an acceptable driving record
- High school diploma or the equivalent
- Minimum 21 years of age
- Successful completion of physical ability test, background investigation including a job fit assessment, polygraph examination, pre-employment physical and pre-employment drug screen
- Successful completion of oral examination by Staff and Police Chief
- An employee of this classification performs duties related to public safety through enforcement of laws and ordinances, public education, and hazard correction
- Kansas residency not required
- More than four (4) no contest/convictions of moving violations in the last three (3) years
- No contest/conviction of driving under the influence of alcohol in the last three (3) years
- No contest/conviction of driving under the influence of a controlled substance in the last three (3) years
- Any illegal drug use within the past two (2) years