Operating a business or performing a service in the City requires a Business License. Business Licenses are issued by the City Clerk’s office. In most cases, the licensing year begins on October 1st and ends on September 30th.
A complete list of regulations can be found in Title 5 of the Shawnee Municipal Code.
Before the City Clerk’s office (913) 742-6014 can issue a business license to a business in a retail space located in Shawnee, check out the following requirements and Department contacts:
You will be required to pay a one time $5.00 fee for the Certificate of Occupancy. The City Clerk's Department can also help you with your Business License Application (pdf). You may start the process of obtaining your Business License prior to receiving the Certificate of Occupancy.
For any questions regarding sales tax, please check with the State of Kansas Department of Revenue.
The completed application and fee must be submitted by mail or in person to City Clerk’s office, 11110 Johnson Drive, Shawnee, KS 66203.
Alcohol and Cereal Malt Beverage (CMB)
Automatic Amusement Devices (Distributor and Operator Permits)
Billiard Halls/Poolrooms/Bowling Alley License
Business Briefs Brochure
Cash Advance Service Regulatory License
Day Care (Home) License
Home Business License
Massage Establishments and Therapists License
New Business Guide Brochure
Precious Metal Dealer License
Occupational License Change Form
Trash/Recycling Hauler License
The fees vary depending on the type of license. Some fees are prorated depending on the month in which the license is issued. Business license renewal fees can now be paid online at www.cityofshawnee.org/payments. The City uses nCourt to process payments online for a small convenience fee, which is added to your license payment.
- Fire Inspections: must be completed before the business can open. Shawnee Fire Department (913) 742-6101
- Plan Review and Permitting: (if required) must be completed before the business can open. Development Services Department (913) 742-6012
- Planning Development Information: all site development construction must be completed such as: final grading, stormwater drainage improvements, compliance with stormwater detention ordinance and parking lot and drive approach construction. Planning Department (913) 742-6011
- Sign Permits: you must sign for a copy of the sign permit requirements. Planning Department (913) 742-6011
- Building Permits: if a new building is being constructed, or an existing building is being remodeling, for the new (or current) business, a building permit is required. Codes Administration (913) 742-6010
- Building Inspection Requirements: all businesses in retail space are required to have a building inspection. Codes Administration (913) 742-6010