Any individual, firm, company, partnership, corporation or association who loans money on deposit or pledge of personal property or other valuable thing, other than intangible personal property, or who deals in the purchase of personal property on the condition of selling the same back again at a stipulated price must obtain a Pawnbroker License from the City Clerk’s office. Pawnbroker does not include any individual, firm, company, partnership, corporation or association operating under the supervision of the state banking commissioner, credit union administrator or the consumer credit commissioner of this State.
A complete list of regulations can be found in Chapter 5.52 of the Shawnee Municipal Code.
The completed application must be submitted by mail or in person to City Clerk’s office, 11110 Johnson Drive, Shawnee, KS 66203. Each applicant also shall submit with the application a statement that the applicant is the holder of a valid registration certificate issued by the director of revenue pursuant to K.S.A. 79-3608 for each place of business for which application for a license is made as well as a detailed inventory and description of all goods, wares, merchandise, precious metals or other property held in pledge or for sale at the time of the application at each place of business state
Pawnbroker License Application (pdf)
The fee is $25.00 and shall be paid at the time of application. This fee is non-refundable and no prorate is available.
- Must obtain a Precious Metal Dealer License from the City Clerk’s office.
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age.
- Licenses will not be issued to any person who has been convicted of or has pleaded guilty to a felony under the laws of the State of Kansas, or any other state, or of the United States.
- Licenses will not issued to any person who has forfeited a bond to appear in court to answer charges for any such offense within the ten (10) years immediately prior to such person’s application.
- License will not be issued to any person who has had a license revoked.
- License will not be issued to any person whose spouse would be ineligible to receive a license hereunder for any reason other than the age, citizenship and residence requirements.