Animal Licenses and Permits
The City of Shawnee issues Deer Control Permits for the culling or reduction of deer populations within the City of Shawnee. The permits allow a person to use a crossbow or a bow and arrow for the purpose of controlling the deer population. Both State and City permits are required.
- No City permit shall be issued until the applicant has secured a State permit. A copy of the State permit must accompany the City permit application. The application will not be approved until the Chief of Police determines that the hunting will not pose a danger to persons or property.
- Once approved, only the persons listed on the State and City permit may hunt. No agent shall make any payment to any person for the right to hunt or be listed as an agent. All persons listed on the permits must carry valid photo identification and a copy of the City and State permit. No arrow or other object may be discharged or projected at such an angle or distance as to land on public or private property not described in the permit. The City permit may be more restrictive than the State permit.
- During the State of Kansas open bow season, the City will accept in lieu of a State Permit, a letter from the Shawnee Police Chief/Designee or the Kansas Department of Wildlife confirming that the property identified in the application has been inspected and it has been determined that there is a reasonable belief that deer population control measures are necessary during the regular hunting season. Application to hunt during this time period, requires a copy of a valid Hunting License and a Deer Hunting Permit (Tag) from the State of Kansas for each agent listed. The application fee shall be $50.00 and the permit is valid through the State of Kansas open bow season.
- For those permits issued outside of the State of Kansas open bow season, the City permit shall only be valid for forty-five (45) days from the date of issuance or for the length of time designated in the State Deer Control Permit, whichever is less. The application fee shall be $50.00.
A complete list of regulations can be found in Chapter 9.13 of the Shawnee Municipal Code.
The completed Deer Control Permit Application (pdf) and fee must be submitted along with the required documentation by mail or in person to City Clerk’s office, 11110 Johnson Drive, Shawnee, KS 66203.
- Any activity performed in conjunction with the issuance of a City permit, including but not limited to field dressing or other handling of carcass, must occur on the property specified in the City permit no less than fifty (50) yards from the perimeter or the area. The transportation of a carcass along any public right-of-way, public easement, trail, open space, or other public property is prohibited, unless it is covered and transported in a motor vehicle. No permit shall be issued for any property less than ten (10) acres.
The fee is $50.00 and is due at the time application is made. This fee is not prorated and no refund is available.